The Best Way To Grow Celery In Containers is using one pot or a larger container for a few. They are so versatile and freezable. You can make your own mix by freezing your diced carrots, peppers, onions, and celery in freezer bags for usage in many recipes.
Table of Contents
Types of Celery to Plant in Containers
Although there are three different kinds including the Celeriac Brilliant type. I would recommend growing Tall Utah or the Tango Hybrid. They are the ones you buy in the grocery store. You can also use the bottom of the celery plant you purchased to root and plant so you can use it all summer long. Celery can be frozen and persevered in sauces as well.
Planting Your Celery Seeds
- Plant indoors 10 – 12 weeks before the last frost. They love to face north in bright windowsill.
- Place the seeds 1/4 inch deep with good starting soil.
- Keep your seedlings evenly moist and they should emerge around 10-21 days.
- They do not need much fertilizer so use an all purpose soil if your going to leave them in the same container your putting outdoors.
- If you are transplanting them, harden them slowly by bringing the plant outdoors during the day and then bringing them in at night. This will reduce transplant shock if you are going to use a different container.
- Keep in Full sun.
Pests and Diseases of The Celery Plant
I will recommend you use the Celery Disease Identification to identify any issues. You may notice some leaves turning brown, or your plant starts to wilt if these things happen it could be one of the following issues:
- Celery Root Knot, Nematodes
- Celery Viruses
- Carrot Powdery Mildew
The Best Way To Harvest Celery In Containers
Harvest around 115 days from planting. Celery leaves are also edible and can be dried for later use. Freezing the celery is my favorite way to keep using the plant all year round. I usually make my own French Mirepoix. Using celery, carrots, and onions. I dice them small and freeze them for later use. After you harvest you can store them in the fridge, but they will eventually lose their crispiness.
2 Pack – SimpleHouseware 11″ x 50 Feet Vacuum Sealer Bags (total 100 feet)
CalmDo Vacuum Sealer, Fully Automatic Food Sealer
Miracle-Gro Shake N Feed All Purpose Plant Food 12-4-8 2.04Kg
Outsunny 5-Tier Raised Garden Bed
Potato Grow Bags- 10 Gallon Black Grow Bags
Miracle-Grow Moisture Control 56.6 Liter